Looking for the perfect recipe to add to your camping menu? Check out this recipe from CountryLiving.com! This sausage and onion recipe with apples is the perfect combination of savory and sweet. With almost no prep work and a single skillet, it’s also an easy thing to throw together last-minute. Get the full camping recipe below.
Recipe found on CountryLiving.com and adapted for this blog.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 small sweet Italian sausage links
- 2 Pink Lady apples
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 head red cabbage
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. fresh apple cider
- 2 tbsp. fresh cider vinegar
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage to the skillet and cook until golden brown, turning to brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Wash and dry all produce.
- Halve apples and slice the cabbage and onion.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the apple, and cut side down to brown them. Add onion and cabbage and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until apples are golden brown.
- Flip the apples over and return the sausage to the skillet, pushing them down into the veggies to marry the flavors.
- Add cider and vinegar and simmer for 18-20 minutes, stirring and turning the sausages regularly to ensure they cook through.
- Serve warm with a slice of crusted bread, and enjoy!
To find the perfect RV to take you to the campground, shop at RVingPlanet.com.